Bifunctional nanoparticles: multifunctional glyconanoparticles for anti-cancer vaccines anti-HIV vaccines and microbicides, magnetic nanoparticles as contrast agents in MRU and as biosensors.
Pª Miramón, 182. Ed. Empresarial C. San Sebastián.
San Sebastián. CP: 20009.
Responsable : Soledad Penadés Ullate
Development of biofunctional nanoparticles: multifunctional glyconanoparticles as anticancer vaccines; biofunctional nanoparticles as anti-HIV vaccines and as microbicides; magnetic biofunctional nanoparticles as contrast agents in MRI and as biosensors for molecular diagnosis; nanoparticles functionalized with interference RNA (siRNA); self-assembled monolayers and molecular recognition studies: atomic force microscopy for biomedical applications.
Areas: Development of nanoparticles, Biofunctionalization, molecular characterization, treatment.
• European Microbicides Project (EMPRO). Integrated Project (2004-2008). Contract no.: LSHP-CT-2003-503558. Financing entity: Life Sciences Program. European Union. Principal Investigator: Soledad Penadés.
Consortium made up of 25 institutions of the academic sector and of the industrial sector for developing new microbicides effective in the prevention of the human immunodeficiency syndrome (HIV). CIC biomaGUNE’s participation in the consortium is specifically aimed at the design, synthesis and characterization of nanoparticles functionalized with the structural motifs of glycoprotein gp120 of the surface of the HIV-1 virus and at the study of their interaction with dendritic cells and the DC-SIGN receptor.
• Exploration of the nature and potential of Glyco-nanoparticles (GLYCOGOLD). Network Marie Curie (2005-2008). Contract no. : MRTN-CT-2004-005645. Financing entity: Marie-Curie Research Training Program. European Union. Principal Investigator: Manuel Martín-Lomas.
• Network made up of 11 institutions of the academic sector and of the industrial sector dedicated to exploring the nature and potential of nanoparticles functionalized with antigenic carbohydrates.
• Glyconanoparticles in molecular recognition studies related to the HIV virus (GLYCOMIC-HIV). R&D Project (2006-2008). Ref.: CTQ2005-07993-C02-01 BQU. Principal Investigator: Manuel Martín-Lomas. Financing entity: Plan Nacional (National Plan). Ministry of Science and Education.
Project of the Plan Nacional coordinated with the Instituto de Microelectrónica de Madrid (Microelectronics Institute of Madrid) (CSIC), aimed at studying the molecular bases of the interaction of gp120 with its specific receptors using atomic force microscopy (AFM) and other techniques
• Magnetic biofunctional nanoparticles and their biomedical applications (NANOMAG-BIOMED). Coordinated R&D Project (2006-2008). Ref.: NAN2004-09125-C07-01. Coordinator, Principal Investigator: Soledad Penadés. Financing entity: Plan Nacional. Acción Estratégica de Nanociencia y Nanotecnologia (Strategic Action for Nanoscience and Nanotechnolgy).
Project coordinated with the Instituto de Microelectrónica de Madrid-CSIC, Instituto de Magnetismo Aplicado (Applied Magnetism Institute) RENFE-UCM, Instituto de Ciencias de Materiales de Madrid-CSIC, the Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas de Madrid (Biomedical Research Institute of Madrid)-CSIC, Instituto de Ciencias de Materiales de Sevilla (Materials Science Institute of Seville)-CSIC and the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas. The objective of this project is to prepare magnetic biofunctional nanoparticles, characterize their magnetic properties and explore their application as contrast agents in Magnetic Resonance Imaging and as progenitor cell markers.
• New Diagnosis Systems (PROFIT bioSense). PROFIT Project (2006-2007), Contract no.: FIT-010000-2006-98. Principal Investigator: Soledad Penadés. Financing entity: Ministry of Industry.
Collaboration project between the company Progenika Biopharma, CiCbiomaGUNE and the Instituto de Microelectrónica de Madrid-CSIC to develop a biosensor based on magnetic biofunctional nanoparticles and a magnetic-optical sensor.
• Biology of neuronal progenitor cells detected in vivo by means of antibodies marked with nanoparticles (NANOSTEM). Intramural Project (2007-2009), Ref.: 200820F042. Principal Investigator for CIC biomaGUNE: Soledad Penadés. Financing entity: CSIC.
The project is based on specific antibodies obtained from neuronal progenitor cells in the Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas-CSIC. CICbiomaGUNE’s participation is centered on fine-tuning the methodology necessary for conjugating the specific antibodies to magnetic nanoparticles which will be the markers of the progenitor cells.
• Biofunctional nanoparticles: Molecular recognition, AIDS+VACCINES. ETORTEK (2006-2009). Principal Investigator: Manuel Martín-Lomas. Financing entity: Consejería de Industria (Department of Industry) of the Basque Country Regional Government.
The project is one of the most important sources of financing for CICbiomaGUNE. The objectives focus on the development of nanoparticles specifically functionalized as potential vaccines against the human immunodeficiency virus.